PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good on you Moorabbin - what has happened at Bankstown?
Old 14th Nov 2017, 02:41
StickWithTheTruth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Soar own approximately 36 aircraft including mostly Foxbats but have recently been buying up on new Bristells.

Interestingly I believe that all of their Foxbats bar the Vixen have been purchased second-hand (happy to be corrected on that).

I also heard that Soar are expanding their fleet at Bankstown significantly in the near future with plans for it to be bigger than Moorabbin. Fact or fiction I'm not sure, but good on them for making it work!

CASA predicted this when they approved the LSA category for Australia. What I suspect they didn't expect, was that the LSA aircraft that would rejuvenate aviation in Australia, would have numbers on the side rather than letters, but they let this happen when they allowed raaus schools into Bankstown and Moorabbin etc.

The purpose of the LSA category was to allow cheaper and more affordable aircraft to operate in the country, but primarily for GA schools so that they could complete on a level playing field with raaus schools, with letters versus numbers. Same aircraft, same costs, different rego. The influx of LSA aircraft has proven this idea worked.

The $64m question literally is why has it taken off in Moorabbin and not Bankstown. Well maybe just Moorabbin was first and Bankstown will follow shortly. If SOAR has their way... it soon will!

There's so many variables for the Chinese though. Schools onsite, schools available for sale, school reputation, proximity to international airport, proximity to CTA, airport costs, availability of accommodation... but most importantly, everyone knows (including the Chinese it would seem), that Melbourne is better than Sydney :-)