PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maps are obsolete
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 14:05
Chris Martyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Rutherford
I'm also used to flying (even post Army) in a high workload environment (difficult locations, weather and simultaneously managing a large group of aircraft for example).

Given your current professional involvement and also , your background Sam, I fully agree that contemporary nav. methods are of utmost importance and should you be forced into requiring a chart , then you would be having a very bad day indeed. Hence my earlier comment regarding the "steely eyed killer" requirements .
As a 'fun-runner' myself though , who only flies for purely recreational purposes , I believe it would remove a lot of the fun and the skill to only use tablet devices. Navigation for me is a hobby in itself . Although it must be said that loafing around over the beautiful Sussex countryside at 73kts hardly leaves one open to surface to air missile attacks.

Although , if I had flown military machinery in war zones or was in bandit territory in Africa , which is something that I'm sure Sam can identify with, then 'state of the art' nav. equipment would be a no-brainer.

So for me , there is great relevance in both methods. And in answer to Sam's original question about charts being obsolete ?

Sorry mate,,,,,,,,,,,,,a resounding NO