PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maps are obsolete
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 06:59
Sam Rutherford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, this is exactly where I'm going...

We'll shortly be jumping in cars where not only are we not navigating, we're not even driving. Planes will follow.

Before that we'll be flying with AR (we already have little boxes and SV).

As I already mentioned, you of course need redundancy (my plane has no less than four GPS, three of which have some sort of independent battery backup). I think my analysis that I have zero risk of total NAV failure is correct (assuming that the GPS network being switched off in my area is zero).

Of course, anything is possible - but on reasonable probability I'm more likely to win the lottery than find myself without an electronic NAV solution.

And in answer to someone else's post - clearly if the plane doesn't have the hardware then you will have to bring your own solution with sufficient redundancy.

If you're using 3G or higher connectivity, your electronic chart is constantly updating even in flight, even with notams coming and going. A paper one is immediately out of date, and is a year out of date before the next one appears.

For preflight, we have t'internet - and for the final stages the absolutely brilliant 'flight simulator' on google earth for local spatial awareness. I've used this a couple of times for first visit to (particularly mountain) strips - it's weird seeing the same river/factory etc. for the second time when I've never actually been there before.

More simply, 99% of pilots (including big commercial aircraft who've had paperless cockpits for years) no longer use charts (and don't even have access to them) - so should we not be training on the correct use of these rather than 'last year's solution'?

Discuss! :-)