PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are newbees supposed to do?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2003, 15:14
ecj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recruiting

Whilst I am not without sympathy for your plight, you are, at the end of the day, dealing with market forces where the simple truth is that supply v demand is at work. The big bad world.

I think you will find that some UK turbo prop operators are recruiting, and for the more capable newly qualified pilot, jet operators are also recruiting - GB Air have some ex-Jerez customers in training as we speak.

Unless some form of training subsidy is paid by HMG, how can any trading company be forced through statute to provide training for pilots where an economic need does not exist?

Your training is in essence a selection board, which may result in the FTO recommending you to an airline. The airline in turn have their own selection process. At the moment, only the more capable are being taken on.
This was not always the case. Reason - supply v demand . Customers were walking out of Oxford in 1986, with a choice of employer to choose from. I saw it in action.

At the end of the day, there is very little regulation requiring FTO to "select" their customers. If they have the finances, and meet the minimum standards they, the customers are issued with a licence. The FTOs are there like any business to provide a service, and make a profit for their shareholders.

The bottom line is simple market forces with elastic and non elastic supply and demand curves. Anyway that is what Dr. Reekie taught me in Economics at Newcastle many moons ago.

The way forward would be for you as a newly qualified pilot to contact your MP and persuade him/her of your case. This process is effective. You only have to look at the SIMPSON PROPOSAL for duty hours etc where speaking to your local MP has started to have an impact upon the proposal.

If Easy do proceed as advertised with significant expansion, then the food chain at the buttom will provide for the newly qualified, as the FOs with some experience move up in turn.

The next few years could well prove to be interesting.

Last edited by ecj; 16th Sep 2003 at 16:30.