PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sticklers for time...
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2003, 22:27
spudskier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
absolutely in the states, only the tower closes, not the whole airfield. Lights are either on all the time or pilot operated by clicking the ptt radio button. different numbers of clicks on the CTAF for different light levels.

and I'm not sure if I should really give out the tower name... its a small class-d. One of the busiest class-Ds in the state... (hope this doesn't give it away, but it's a contract tower, not FAA)

unfortunately this lack of common courtesy is standard for this tower when certain controllers are on the clock. Mind you there are at least one or two controllers that are the greatest guys in the world up there, but there are one or two notorious controllers up there that make everyone's lives hellish.

just small things like forgetting he told you to hold short 10 minutes ago for something that landed 8 minutes ago, telling you to fly north, then east around the airport to land west when you called him up from well to the southwest. (there was no good reason to do that at the time), very curt/short fuse attitude. I've never met the guy, but I've talked to numerous regulars who fly out of the airport and they all say the same thing.

I don't want to come off as having a beef with ATC, I've dealt with a lot of good controllers and highly respect them and the job they do. I've been flying out of controlled airports since my first hour in a C152.

To those who know them in the states, I just wanna say kudos to the guys and girls in the Mansfield, Ohio tower. I fly through their airspace quite a bit and they have always been by far the most curteous and usually will go out of their way to help you despite the amazing amount of traffic they get. (not the same tower I was talking about earlier)