PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737NG Rating for DJ
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2003, 20:59
BCF Breath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, define Jumbo and define mountain, then be very careful.

Me thinks Qantas have had a few accidents in the recent years that they call incidents so they don't lost their claim to fame re no accidents....

The thing about Kiwis work ethic re the Oz one is old news and has been around for years. My old man was told to slow down because he was working (nailing floorboards!!!) too fast for the Aussies on the Kosciosko (?sp) power project way back ('50's). (Ah La the shearers)
Dixon said a few weeks ago (Sun) on Ch 9 "The legacy rates of pay can't continue".

It's those out mode'd work models that shafted Ansett, & Qantas know's it. Todays airlines can ill afford to pay the legacy rates that used to be the norm. As much as we'd like it to be so.

Don't blame the Military thingo (as most of us disagree with her peacenik ideals) on decent Kiwis. Some of us who are ex Mil. are damn ashamed. But those in uniform can't say a thing. We've worked with the aussies and enjoy the interaction. (and competition..)

Many Govt's have bailed out airlines in the last 2 years. At least this year Air NZ returned a profit.
The ONLY Star Alliance member to do so.

Air NZ is the only Airline to successfully combine a Low Cost part with the Full Service option. Another example of the flexibility that they have. (or need to survive)

TIS
However.. Those Unions are very useful and can be damn handy when things don't line up. So don't go shooting yourself in the foot. There are some very good benifits to be had from membership.

To sum up:
Basically, don't compare the two countries on working conditions. They're very different. NZ has the population of Melb. So has no economies of scale re working conditions.
Unfortunately the Oz Airline management have now noticed that.
I see and hear both sides and wish it could be like it was 15 years ago. But alas, the world has changed and the workers aren't as well looked after.

It's a shame as I'd like to (hope to) bring my son up in Aussie due to the better schooling/defence and less PC crap as there is in NZ!

Now give me a few minutes to dive into my (conventional) bomb shelter.