PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC145
Thread: EC145
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2003, 18:54
tecpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ touareg

The EC 145 is approved as a new version of the proven BK 117. But differencies between the older BK 117 B2 or C1 and the new ship are much greater than on any other BK series.

At the moment not so much ships have really enough (real missions) flight hours for a final comment.

John Eacott describes the BK 117 B2 and C1 models and their handling and servicing characteristics very well. The differencies to the EC 145 are not so big.

What's now the EC 145:

1. We have the same engines like the C1. That means no FADEC and 2 min cooling time. But the new MTOW is now 3585kg/7,826lbs.

2. We have an improved main rotor. Should provide a little more lift.

3. The greatest step forward is the new cockpit layout with the new "MEGHAS" glass cockpit. That's really the best on the ship (my opinion) because of the much more better pilots view outside. But the new glass cockpit could give so much indication possibilities, so much informations and require therefore much more knowlegde from the pilot. That's the big big difference to the older ships. On the differential training is the biggest point to teach the pilots the needed cockpit skills especially on emergencies. It's the first time in my pilots-life that i have heard from older pilots: that ship isn't the right thing for my last years, because of the complete new avionic and cockpit generation. Including a new very good autopilot (fully automatic ILS Approach up to 65ft), the ship should allways fly with the AP engaged.

4. More fuel and increased endurance (2,5h).

5. As said with the old engines and the new MTOW is especially the OEI performance not so good. Short: the ship is nearly allways underpowered. To reach CAT "A" performance under operation conditions it seems impossible to take the advantage of the more payload and fuel.

6. The rear cabin is larger. (Really good)

7. A new hoist without the big older boom direct above the sliding doors. (booth sides possible) that means improved hoist capabilities.

The ship is very good to fly (of course a rigid rotor) and as good as the older BK's on confined areas. But absolutely shure it's not a hot and high helicopter. The "flexicables" working good and the ship is new for Eurocopter ships equipped with twist grips.
As a new ship with not so much flying time the maintenance load is difficult to describes. That's a question of the next 2-4 years.

And at last: the thing is really (maybe to) expensive to buy. I'm not shure if it is possible to buy and to fly the EC 145 on free market and business conditions at the moment worldwide. Have heard, you have to expect delivering times up to 2 years.

Last edited by tecpilot; 13th Sep 2003 at 19:49.