PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life on the CX Whale Freighter
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2017, 19:26
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DropKnee
I find it laughable that non US folks have to constantly bash us US folks.
It's a tradition here on (U.S. based) PPRuNe along with complaints about how hard it is to get a green card.

I try to enthusiastically embrace the diverse nationalities who contribute to the discourse on this forum.

I've always said that nobody does a marching band or government paperwork better than the Brits.

And no one can make training more tedious and pedantic than the Ozmates.

Sadly, the overseas obsession with everything American is not reciprocated.

I don't think many American pilots worry too much about how they do it in Hong Kong. But, having been through similar battles myself in years past, I have followed the Cathay pilots' struggle for esteem and financial security with interest for a couple of decades now. I've walked both the picket line and the unemployment line more than once myself.

I remember when the (53 or so) CX 49'ers were sacked and the HKAOA declared a 'hiring ban'.

Maybe naively, I felt more should have been done in response to the firings. In America such an action would shut down any union airline and many non-union carriers as well in my opinion.

Perhaps you feel the sacking of your colleagues deserves a hiring ban for others while continuing to train and accept upgrades yourselves.

I'll certainly honor the hiring band. I could never pass the tests or afford the cut in pay. However, I agree with others here that if you're not willing to do more yourselves for your fallen comrades, your threats of name calling to outsiders will sound hollow indeed.

Anyway, please prove me wrong and take the bull by the horns!
http://www.pprune.org/30829-post41.html

As Traffic predicted in 2001:

CX stands on the verge of becoming either the best place to work in the aviation business or a tombstone to human folly.
http://www.pprune.org/30819-post31.html

Years later, the CX situation kinda reminds me of the opening paragraph of Woody Allen's 1979 My Speech to the Graduates:

More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.