PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter wasting public funds
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2003, 03:26
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like so many things, it all depends on the facts, and the posts don't really give enough information to let anyone decide. Long on opinion and subjective comment and short on evidence.

Certainly, in my experience it would be unusual to deploy a police aircraft for a purpose such as was described by sbiggee. Units have deployment criteria taking into account the costs of flying. Usually, there is a crew of 1 pilot and 2 observers who are usually police officers. One of the observers is responsible for deciding what (police) task is done. The pilot takes them there. The observers work the cameras and other stuff. This means that at least 3 people need to "conspire" to carry out a task. All flights and "tasks" are logged. The pilot does not decide where he goes or what the aircraft is used for. His only veto is on grounds of flight safety or legality (i.e. whether the flight can be completed in accordance with aviation legislation).

If someone considers particular police activity is worthy of it, they should make a complaint. If, as is suggested, there is some sort of bizarre personal vendetta, then it would not be too difficult to reveal this. The police are (usually) meticulous in investigating their own ............

But, if someone has broken a regulation/legal rule and the evidence is there to prove it, you can't really expect the police to ignore it. Their role as law enforcers extends to the ANO - they are specifically given powers under these Orders akin to those given to CAA officers. They have powers of arrest in connection with certain offences, like endangering aircraft, they can require to inspect aviation documents...........

It is also not the case that the Aviation Rules like Rule 5 are civil law, they are part of the criminal law.

Heliport does raise an interesting question about individual pilots "going native". I have come across a very small number of police pilots who, because they fly for the police, do get a bit over-zealous in aviation matters. That view of such behaviour is my personal opinion, and I do not operate in that way myself. I have also come across pilots with such attitudes working for commercial operators or flying schools.

However, it is the right of every citizen to draw attention to apparent law-breaking to those who are employed to enforce the law, and be prepared to give evidence (if he has any). In other circumstances, it would even be called being a good citizen!

Last edited by Helinut; 13th Sep 2003 at 04:25.