PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A320 accident at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2017, 17:47
Retired DC9 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slast
RAT 5, thanks, your comments are very appropriate.

JJA4, with all respect, the problem with Canadian minima is not the list of visual references, which is pretty common. It is what decision the rules expect the pilot to make.

The concept of Decision Height (ICAO and elsewhere) is that the pilot must answer Yes or No to the question "Has what you have already seen on the ground confirmed that you are in the right place and going in the right direction?", and continue or go around as appropriate. This is also written into for example the Airbus FCTM.

But Canada's rule (CAR 100.01(1) definitions) doesn't ask that. It poses a very different question: "is what you can see on the ground right now going to allow you to find out if you are in the right place and going in the right direction?". So the crucial decision is delayed to some undefined point in the future. ICAO requires the pilots assessment to finish at DH. Canada allows it to START there.
I disagree, and I have flown this approach into YHZ, with a certain Airline

On a Coupled/Selected approach, you fly the selected Flight Path Angle to minimums (+50 ' in this case) plus low temperature corrections at the FAF and MDA.. No contact at minimums then , immediate Go-Around. The 50 foot additive protects you from descending BELOW the published MDA during the GA.

So (as I would fly it) Coupled/Selected ; descending on the 3.5 degree FPA and coupled to the LOC, at minimums, ie. published MDA + 50 feet, it was auto pilot disconnect, " Landing" , or "Go around flaps" call by Captain who would be flying. Depending on whether the runway is visible for a safe landing, aircraft alignment with center line, amount of crab, etc.. Because you are descending on a constant 3.5 degree FPA, at minimums, it is treated the same as minimums on an ILS ie a Decision Height. You have the visibility to land or not.

PNF calls would be "One Hundred above" then "Minimums" , "runway in sight" or "no contact" . Runway in sight call is made anytime runway is visible, on the approach, whereas "no contact" is a call made at minimums.

IMHO, what this Airport needs is an ILS on Runway 05
my 2c worth

Last edited by Retired DC9 driver; 29th Oct 2017 at 23:18.