PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NT C210
Thread: NT C210
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2017, 11:56
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
The RAAF to my knowledge has lost at least six aircraft (Winjeels. Macchis and Sabres) when these unusual combinations have occurred
I don't recall any of these accidents although I instructed on Wirraways and Winjeels. However I do recall a Wirraway crash at the Werribee bombing range circa 1957. The pilot was Flight Sergeant Ted Dillon who was practicing solo dive-bombing in the Wirraway. All RAAF pilots were aware of the dangers of rolling "G" as we were briefed on that early in our flying training.

The briefing for dive-bombing at the time was once the bomb was dropped from a 45 degree angle of dive the pilot should pull out of the dive wings level and climb straight ahead to about 1000 feet before levelling out and flying a left circuit to position for another dive. In his accident the pilot dropped his bomb as briefed then made a strong pull out and at the same time banked the aircraft sharply to rejoin the pattern.

One wing departed the aircraft and the Wirraway crashed killing the pilot. The Court of Inquiry revealed a possible defect in that wing which would have weakened the attachment. It was felt that combined with the rolling "G" the defect caused the wing to break at a lower "G". I recall vaguely the Wirraway had very strong wings able to withstand +8G but am not certain if that was true.