PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Atlanta Icelandic
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 14:06
C152gal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly there too, so don't be deterred by my username.
For anyone really interested, call or mail Airborne, they are very responsive and will give you an indication of where they will position your daily rate. Emphasis is on indication. As a previous poster mentioned, don't use Confair. AAI does not pay you, Confair does.
Contractor captains are roughly between 400 and 500USD/day, FOs 200-300, add 50EUR per-diem to each.

As to the question whether they hire low-time pilots: yes they do! You will fly a a cruise-relief pilot, above FL200, you pay somewhat less for your rating, but sign a bond for 3 years (that is, they will ask money from you if you leave earlier) and may expect to be upgraded to FO after that period.

For DECs: as a 737 driver, you'll walk straight into the left seat of the 744.

As for overpay, yes, add an extra of 1/3 of your daily rate for each, again, each block hour above 65 in a 30 day period. Now that's nice, this will happen max once a year, because i) the company has got it down to fine art to make sure they take you off the flying line before you hit the 65h, ii) the only time you could possibly exceed the 65h is during the Hajj (google).
There is a rumor that AAI is short of pilots and they are scrambling for new flight crew. On the line, we really cannot see that, not even during the Hajj (google) which finished recently.
Again, for anyone interested, contact Airborne and ask them your questions.
Then apply (or don't). Then pass the selection (at your expense of money and time), then decide if you want to accept what they offer. Obviously they won't mention that you may be sitting at home for 2-3 months a year. That happened and will happen again. Better have a second job, or be a young FO living with parents or be an SAS driver with golden handshake. Or come from Ryanair where any new job will be an improvement. A 2/3 contract however, will provide you with an OK revenue to feed a family and pay the mortgage. 2/3 contracts are usually offered after 300 days of service (that would be more than a year). Better daily fee, but no overpay here.
A 3/3 contract is being drafted by the company while I'm typing this, and we are all very curious of what it will contain.

Other than this, all info posted above by pilots who actually work(ed) there is correct. Good training, nice colleagues, good accommodation, plus we are treated with respect by AAI, and best of all, mighty airplane!