PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Atlanta Icelandic
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 12:03
QOTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truth about AAI

I actually do the job. Here are the facts.

Use Airborne. Confair is bs and their contract is a joke. Drawn up by drunken chimpanzees.

Everybody starts on a so-called 'worldwide' contract, meaning you're available all the time unless you tell them differently. For example, with the exception of the Hajj (google it) where you're required to provide at least 75% availability, you can work as much or as little as you like. Rosters come out twice every month on the 10th/25th providing clarity from 1st-10th and 15th-31st of the month respectively. If you want to, say, work month on month off, tell them online that this is your availability and it will be respected. In essence, you can actually write your own roster. Bliss!

Non type rated guys will need to pay for their ratings. $25,000ish, with $10,000 up front (airborne) with the rest recovered at $1100/month till paid out. Very reasonable.

Traditionally, a lot of younger guys with big financial obligations and young families have found the time after Haaj difficult because they haven't been called on worldwide for, in some cases 2-3 months. This was difficult and many guys left because of it. There is a glut of B747 jobs around and people are readily taken up by other operators. AAI has put effort into addressing this and very recent developments are that there's a vibrant and growing freight operation developing out of our European bases (Belgium and Germany) and along with the now year-long Umrah (google) this now means extended periods without work is unlikely. Nominally you're based in Riyadh but will spend most of your time at a very good hotel in Jeddah. I had low expectations before arriving in Jeddah but I really like it now. I feel safer wandering around in Jeddah, day and night, than I do in Brussels or London!

Not only that, but there are also 3/2 contracts available, although it's unusual to be offered these in the first year. They provide predictable income and lifestyle and the daily rates are higher. A new thing coming is 3/3 contracts, which are lovely. Too soon to provide clarity on detail yet, but they're coming.

This is an Icelandic company and the backbone on the operation are the mainly Icelandic pilots who operate on their union negotiated contracts that are very generous. Much more generous than we contractors get. These guys are the first horses to drink, if I can put it that way, and personally I have no problem with this. There are those who object to a two tiered approach to pilots, but there are whiney, clueless dickheads everywhere in our profession, and AAI contractors are no different. The terminally aggrieved tend not to last long here, which is a self-cleaning oven in effect.

On the Icelanders, they are a great bunch of highly qualified, personable and professional airmen. The good guy to ******** ratio is excellent and the training and trainers in this company is the best I've ever had. I an NOT Icelandic but I enjoy flying with them very much. It's THEIR train set though, and if you can get your head around that without getting your panties in a wad, you'll have a very good time here.

Oh, and it's flying the Boeing 747-400, Queen of the Sky, and greatest machine ever created by the hand of man, did I mention that? This company provides opportunities to fly the queen unheard of in the rest of the world. There's good and bad in every company, but if you want to work with good guys and girls flying the greatest aircraft on earth, in a well-trained, safe and pleasant environment, this could be the job for you.

I actually do the job (captain) and absolutely love it. Best job I've ever had.