PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A bleak future for Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2003, 17:43
prospector

I do believe that the point to be made is not as you have assumed. I for one would not agree that there is far more opportunity for screw ups in aircraft. After all the Air Traffic Control system is there to avoid midair collisions, among other tasks. All RPT aircraft have a minimum of two drivers, a requirement for continuation training and checking, a tough medical to pass, and flight and duty time limitations to comply with. Compare that to a driver of a big trucking rig, sharing the road with a lot of for the most part semi trained car drivers, many not even licensed, closing speeds of over 200k's, passing distances at time measured in centimetres, if one hits a bus full of pax the casualty rate approaching that of many RPT aircraft loads.
No, I would not agree that there are far more possibilities for screw ups in aircraft. Many skills required for both tasks, different, agreed, but in the scheme of things the chances for screw ups, due to numbers involved for a starter, would have to be with other modes of transport.

Prospector