PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian B787 - LGW based
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2017, 11:29
Orly1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you don't mind that I post the following here, but I'm curious if there are similar conditions for contracts at other B787 bases.
I was shown a copy of the contract for working for OSM in Florida. I have never seen such a document for a job. I can only imagine that it might apply to a very highly paid, very sensitive position at an internet startup, or such. When you resign, or are asked to leave, it seems to say that you cannot work for any other company that might pose any kind of competition to OSM, for the subsequent two years. In other words, you cannot work as a pilot (or other aviation profession) in any part of the world they operate after you leave the company.
Perhaps I misread it - and I cannot post it out of respect for the person to whom it was sent - but it is quite intimidating as I read it. It goes so far as to say that if it is not shown to be valid in court, it could still be enforced. There is no provision for a pay increase during the time of the contract (3 years). There is no facility for a pension contribution, by either the company or the employee. The contract is extendable by 1 year on a renewable basis, after the first three years.
I don't mean to be critical of the company, but i am curious if anyone involved has seen such a document before. I have read of non compete clauses in contracts in the US. However the restriction of two years after leaving seems a violation of a person's human right to work, and to provide for themselves.
There is a restriction on doing any kind of other work - self employed or otherwise.
I have heard that the work environment is quite good, and that the management are reasonable. I was told that at a road show, they prided themselves in being the opposite to a middle eastern company in how they treated their people.
I realise that a contract is most likely the product of what is allowed by the laws of the base you're in. But the spirit of this contract seems to be hostile to the employee, and contrary to the culture the company purports to promote.
Any thoughts?