PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A bleak future for Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2003, 16:46
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

All very good examples that you cite, Carruthers - incidents and accidents that occurred IN SPITE of having all of the lights, bells, and whistles on board (in some cases), and which also help to highlight the ADDED responsibilities the position of pilot carries because the vehicle which he controls moves around several different axes as opposed to land and sea craft, and at speeds far in excess of them as well.

As you aptly point out, there are far, far more possibilities for screw-ups in an aircraft than any other form of transportation.
That was the point you were making - wasn't it?

Yes, the job has - and shall continue to change. However, in case you weren't aware, we are ALREADY paid by the hour. I'm employed to fly xx hours per month - if I fly less, I still get my xx hours worth of dollars - after all, I don't make the schedules or the rosters, however I am available as my employer wishes me to be be.
More than xx hours per month, and I get "overtime" - just like any other job.

Skill in aviation has traditionally been measured by a pilot's flight time, and that is what is the usual criteria when jobs are advertised.
Certainly there are far more pilots available with lesser skill/hours for all jobs - but it's the EMPLOYERS who won't touch them, even though they could, and pay them less.
But they don't!