PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Robinson crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 14:53
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
But by reading the list of incidents and particularly their causes and number of fatalities you can get a pretty good idea of the risks associated with some machines.
And I've done that with the FAA data. At least in the US, for the past two years, my observations (which may differ from others, since nearly 100% of that data is not final or complete), do not show that Robinsons are any more or less likely to "just fall out of the sky" any more regularly than Bells. There aren't enough incidents with other helicopter types for see any good trends. But every type of helicopter out there has had incidents due to "random" or "inexplicable" circumstances. I can't speak to worldwide data because I haven't studied it, and I've found it more difficult to compile.

Of those Robinsons which "just fell out of the sky", there is a clear trend associated with lightly loaded machines flown near Vne in turbulent conditions. I can't speak for those pilots, but I've been cautioned by my instructors since day one to be very mindful of that combination of conditions.

Now by no means am I a Robinson "apologist". It is what it is: a very lightweight, piston powered, two-bladed, low inertia machine, the 66 being an exception only with regard to its engine. That makes it inherently less capable in many respects, and with smaller safety margins. And I've flown the G2--auto's were ridiculously easy compared to the 22 or 44, so I can appreciate this. Nevertheless, as long as you enter into that realm with your eyes open, it becomes a risk/reward issue, which, at its core, is an exercise in economics. For most people this assumption of risk equates to learn or don't learn (or join the military and hope you make the cut). Or, after that, fly or don't fly, either for work as the prototypical CFI, or for business or pleasure. Because any other machine is going to cost nearly twice as much to operate. In the US, dual in an R22 is $250-300, the rare Cabri is $450'ish, the same as dual in an R44. For owners, the same thing, as even the least expensive turbine, including the R66, is going to be at least twice the operating cost of an R44, and probably more.

At any rate, for a demographic that seemingly accepts insane risks in the ground environment (e.g. epic tales of working, and playing, in godforsaken places, motorcycles adventures, etc.), it's interesting that at its level of affordability, the risk/reward ratio of the Robinsons aren't actually applauded. Safer than riding those motorcycles, anyway!