PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet spin training.
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2017, 13:02
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With the Hunter, more than 1/4 outspin aileron would prevent recovery. At ETPS we would fly an erect spin then apply full outspin aileron. This would be maintained as recovery rudder then full forward stick were applied. Nothing happened so the outspin aileron was reduced progressively to 3/4 then 1/2 then 1/4 at which point it normally recovered. Occasionally you had to return to neutral aileron for recovery. However, a little inspin did give a quicker recovery and Bill Bedford used this in his spinning displays.

I had a Tornado GR1 (actually an IDS prototype, P14) spin during a rapid rolling trial. It had 2 x 1500l tanks inboard, bare outboard pylons and 5 x BL755 underfuselage. It was in 25CR wing, SPILS off. The test point was an 18AOA turn then full lateral stick for a 180 deg bank angle change then a full lateral stick reversal for a further 180 deg bank change. It rolled very slowly during the first roll input then essentially stopped rolling when I made the lateral reversal. I centralised the stick but it departed at 21 000 ft and went from 340 KCAS into a fully developed spin in less than 2 seconds. It was the most violent departure that I have ever seen. I closed the throttles, applied full back stick and I believed that we were spinning left so applied full left stick simultaneously. It continued spinning steadily for many turns! The briefed ejection height was 10 000 ft AGL and we were over the sea. As we reached 10 000 ft the AOA came back on scale and the HUD airspeed changed from 2 digits to 3 (I was too disorientated to read numbers at that stage). At 8000 ft the airspeed was still only 130 KCAS due to the drag. I elected to override the recommended procedure for waiting until 200 KCAS before recovering from the dive and selected manoeuvre flap and slat, rolled wings level and pulled out of the dive. We bottomed at 3000 ft with 2 good engines, a few CSAS first failures and all nav systems dead. Looking at the traces the next day, we had been spinning right so I actually had applied full outspin rather than full inspin lateral stick - and it still recovered (eventually). An interesting test point which generated a good departure boundary identification to establish what the SPILS OFF rapid rolling limit should be!