PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Requirements for logging P1 hours on a plane that is not your usual school?
Old 5th Oct 2017, 10:00
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 27/09
Admittedly I don't know the finer points of aircraft operations in the UK but I cannot help wondering this situation has been over thought.

So far as any near misses/incidents/accidents go I would think the CAA are only concerned with whether or not the P in C was appropriately qualified to be the P in C. They're unlikely to get involved in the contractual details of the hireage.

However the real issue is that the aircraft owner/operator (by operator I mean school or aero club) must know who is flying their aircraft. Much in the same way if you hire a rental car, the rental company wants to know who will be driving it. Member or not they will want to know. I'd imagine they will have a process for authorising a non member to fly their machines. At the very least a check circuit or two.

I'd imagine any unauthorised flight by a member or non member would be breaking the school/club rules and put the insurance at risk and in the event of an accident will likely be personally liable

In my opinion the lack of approval doesn't disqualify them logging the hours. Whether or not they wish to create evidence they broke the school or club rules is another matter.

I'd say any club member who let a non member fly without authorisation is putting themselves at risk as well.
Despite the writer admitting to not knowing the finer (pen?) points in the UK, I think that this advice is correct and to the point!