PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Gulf Air back to their old tricks?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2003, 18:20
CaptSnails

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodness me, you guys make it sound horrific here at GF. Obviously you are either asleep or love old cold war cloak and dagger scenarios.

Since the GF 072 accident have you not noticed any changes?
Let’s state some facts

1. Imposed speed limit below 5000ft
2. Clearly defined in VOL 6 that the company encourages the execution of a go around in the event of not being stabilized on approach
3. Prohibition of a 360 on approach
4. No circle to land.
5. A complete and up to date CRM course for all Tech crew and Cabin Crew
6. A specific course to train Instructors and Checkers on non technical issues involving CRM during checking and training (NOTECHS Course)
7. Constant training workshops to keep trainers and checkers up to date
8. Integration of CRM in training and checking with the aid of video debriefing to facilitate teamwork and the practical application in the flight deck of CRM.
9. Monthly safety publication.
10. Integration of all fleets training objectives and establishment of common goals.

And these are just a few that come to mind immediately. To say that the Airline has not done anything since the crash of 072 is both wrong and unfair. Only recently we received notification that the next topic of the CRM course will be the 072 crash and analysis of the human factors involved. If you ask me the Airline is making a serious effort to learn from the past, correct mistakes and raise our standards.

CNTIAM yes the particular events did take place in THR. The line check was below standard and the person involved was stopped temporarily until a further training program established for him to address his shortfalls. Judging from your posts it seems to me that you have the wrong attitude here in regard to how a command applicant has to be dealt with. A person who has passed an assessment, interview, passed simulator training and passed line training but failed a line check according to you should be strung up to dry. If this was the case I’m afraid there would be very few captains around.
Captains my friend are not born captains, they are made through constant training.

Regarding your statement that you’re an insider and you have first hand knowledge that the FST Manager and the MFT A320 were asked to resign I say go ahead mate and show me your proof because I know both very well and that’s not their story. Nowhere near in fact.

Ac100 the particular applicant had an additional sim session for raw date flying, not visual approaches as you state. I’d like to see how you would react if during your command you had a problem with say non-precision approaches and the airline decided instead of dealing with your shortfalls and improving your skills to just fail you and stop your training. Would you or the airline be better off?

Cut the crap people, there is a serious effort to change this airline in all departments. If you want to do something to contribute start by changing your attitude and see the glass half full and not half empty.

My two cents worth
Regards
Snails