PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantaslink Progression Rumours or not???
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2003, 23:16
UpperDeckRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Seatback

If the CP arrangement was opened up, and Regional crew went straight to Long Haul (as is the case, because most of them want to take that road in Impulse), it would mean LESS Regional crew going to Short Haul - thus leaving more slots for Long Haul to transfer INTO Short Haul. Honour the increased numbers as they stand now, give Regional Crew the option of either Short Haul or Long Haul (one or the other) and progress from there...

You have a nouse for logic mate, and I applaud it.

The one thing you dont factor in is EBAs in mainline.

Regional progression does in no way affect transfers between long and short haul. We have our own agreements between the divisions for long to short (and vice-versa) transfers, and that is 50 transfers will be guaranteed between both divisions (ie 50 from short to long, and 50 from long to short) each financial year.

The numbers of transfers are not affected by regional progression, external recruitment etc

So therefore, as I said, I cannot see any benefit to long haul crew by allowing regional crew progression directly into long haul.

And yes - that is long haul crew looking after long haul crew - that is what an EBA is about, looking after what you have. Yes it may seem harsh to people outside it, but why would crew agree to something that has no benefit to them?

Eastcoasting

Rather than be languishing in the regionals for years on end as the case seems to be now, QF should only be recruiting externally into the regionals, ie. Eastern, Sunstate and Impulse. Regional crew then progress onto short or longhaul, whatever their choice may be, after a period of two years or so.

Yes again, your logic is good, yet most regional cabin crew do not have the levels of language requirements that QF has asked for over the last couple of longhaul recruitments (bar the Dec '02 recruitment). Should QF just give up their requirement for foreign language- speaking crew?

And think about it ..... QF are out to make money, if they recruit only from wholly owned subsidiaries, then they have to pay for the training of crew into the regionals. Then pay for the training of those crew to cross into mainline...... thats paying for two lots of training (4-6 weeks + accommodation allowances during training etc) .

When to hire people 'off the street', they only have to pay for one lot of training, one lot of uniforms etc ...... never underestimate the power of the $ at QF If you havent worked in head office, you would not understand exactly how every action is costed to the letter.

PeanutPusher is dead right

Yes the same standards do apply from interview to final selection stage. But then the final approval and corperate ok is differant.

It isnt only the final decision that is different, it is the actual recruitment which changes the standards between the regional recruitments and mainline..... last year when we adverstised for a 'general recruitment' we had over 13,000 applicants. No regional would get that number, so the recruitment dynamics change.

Not necessarily better applicants, but the sheer number of applicants means that the competition for the few positions is a lot more fierce, so therefore the outcome can be a lot different than for a smaller company.

Again, not necessairly better applicants, or higher standards, but they have a hell of a lot more people to choose from !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wont get into the 'mainline vs regional' debate, I pax both on mainline and regional on a regular basis, as I have family in Tassie.

I have seen great crew on both, and have seen some 'shockers' on both - and that's the truth!

Before bagging mainline crew, remember that there are over 6,500 of us...... the larger the number, the more likely you are to get bad crew...... no recruitment process is perfect.

And some of the 'old ducks' I work with, are the best crew I have ever worked with - they know what they are doing, get it done efficiently, and do it with a style, grace and charm that wins every pax over .... and even with a few years under my belt, no - I am not one of the 'old ducks', I am still proud to say I am under 30

Happy flying