PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dxb-Dme info
Thread: Dxb-Dme info
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2017, 02:04
Panther 88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that I've moved on, let me see if I can analyze where a lot of this fear culture originates. The days of Manchester are long gone, but why is there still a fear culture? Warning letters are not given out like five or six years ago....still the fear.

Captains whether they realize it or not are mentors on most every flight. So they impart some of this fear to their first officers. But why the fear amongst the captains. From what I saw, this starts about a year or two prior to one's upgrade. Life changes quite a bit when you hit the left seat at EK. But prior to the upgrade you get little warnings, don't screw up a check or PPC, don't take too much sick time, stay out of the office, on and on....because if you do, your upgrade will be delayed a year or two. So do you think this paranoia just disappears after a successful upgrade? And the circle continues.

Know of several instances where captain's decisions were based on their copilots convincing them that the captain's decision may delay their upgrade if called into the office.

And really, EK does nothing to quell those anxieties. When using the old FORDEC decision making model, Facts, Options, Risks.....those risks can include the paranoia of what will be the response from the office. The truth of the matter is whatever the reality truly is, the pilot in question's perception, is his/her reality.

The dealings I had with the 3rd floor were always fairly positive. But I was one of the old grizzled captains. So perhaps their perception of me was...he just made a little mistake. But a newly minted captain of limited experience, there might be a little different outcome.

Finally, as a trainer, the upgrade candidates I saw were almost to a man/woman, outstanding. But I cannot say that about the new first officers. I do remember one former 737 captain on his third line training flight who could not do the takeoff review, try as he might. But how did he get that far in the first place?

Well since moving on, I still have a vested interest in what happens at EK because of the incredible friends I made there, well and also I get staff travel benefits so.......Allow me the pleasure to comment once and awhile here. It was getting kind of boring the reading, but that's not a bad thing. Hasta la Vista...