PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dxb-Dme info
Thread: Dxb-Dme info
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2017, 05:27
jack schidt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some very interesting points written by the crusty "old boy" crew.

Aviation is a dangerous business, great rewards come from great risk. Sadly it appears that companies seek greater rewards and are willing to take greater risks to achieve those greater rewards. Anyone ever heard something similar to this before > it takes a smoking hole to eventually force change after management denial is finally awoken? In aviation, pilots have warned management for decades of erosion in safety and it always falls on deaf ears. It appears that only the accountants voices can be heard by those who get huge annual bonuses.

The last few years has seen a change in the recruitment requirements, training cutbacks and forced EPT operation, even though almost every pilot thinks it is inadequate for the task. These are just a few changes that have happened to the detriment of Flying Safely.

As a crusty old captain myself, I am heading towards hanging up my wings in a few years. I will admit though that my shoulders are wide enough to do the "right thing" in the cockpit, even though the external pressures can often weigh heavier on the mind while trying to fly safely.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of companies who are on course for a hull loss as the evidence is mounting that the current direction to safety is certainly not the right direction. We live in times where "certain" Pilots barely fly and refuse to fly certain routes (USA for e.g.) and yet feel that their superior position is righteous enough to pass judgement on those that do. In the Middle East there is so much sand that even those up on higher floors can still bury their heads in it.

Fly safe, be suspicious and aware at all times below MSA.

Jack