PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Impulse the new 'low-cost' carrier?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2003, 12:21
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love your work guys - very mature and useful contributions!

Pete C - QF are getting rid of OGV to Australian as I understand, because they don't want an all Y 76 on their runs (presumeably for reasons of low yields or the excuse that was used for the A330 - it takes too long to turnaround).

I wouldn't be surprised that the yields on the 717's aren't the best (just look at where they fly!) - Hamilton Island, Maroochydore, Gold Coast (again!)...not exactly Business Travellers' delight!

However, having said that, has anyone seen the schedule for end of October? SYD-CNS, BNE-TSV, SYD-OOL (5 times a day)...where are we going with this? These have been traditionally Short Haul routes - or are we trying to build up traffic in the busy lead up to Xmas and School Holidays?

BNE-TSV I can appreciate, as traffic between Alliance and VB would probably hot up, and it would be far cheaper to send Impulse up as opposed to a 2 class 734 with Short Haul crew. I presume this is the case at least!?

I can't see any reason for the LCC to not be based out of oz - it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare to base the crews ex NZ as is happening with Pacific Blue? I know that the FA EBA doesn't provide for much of a markup from the last one (well, not excessively so)...so I fail to see how you could lower costs any further on the staff front (except in cases where you use contracted labour on the ground, engineering, etc???) - maybe this is the plan?

It would be an expensive exercise to do it from scratch I would assume - I strongly envisage Impulse being the vehicle for this new venture if it does go ahead...

Is the range of a 733 vastly different from a 717? Can a 733 do SYD-PER in one go? I didn't think there was a difference...I admit I'm not always correct when it comes to specifics regarding aircraft design...

Any more ideas guys? I like the speculation!!