PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all Dick dislikers...
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2003, 07:17
snarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icarus

Yes, point taken and I will be more careful with my words.

Now to ADSB with CDTI. I figure (if we can stop CASA TSOing it into the millions) will cost about $3000. Fitting, well my R-LAME would do it for about $250 (if all looms, connectors etc are supplied).

That is $3250 for a NON-TSO'd CDTI unit in my cockpit. Not a lot, but for fleet owners or struggling pvt owners probably too much.

Now, who wants and needs it. Under NAS the regionals and airlines. Who will save money from it? All IFR and RPT because AsA will not have to build and/or replace rotating head equipment. I don't think we disagree on that.

VFR doesn't really need it, although some may want it. So, if it isn't paid for and isn't mandated you might get some info (even more dangerous if you rely on it) but not all.

If it isn't paid for (by govt) but is mandated I foresee a huge political battle the end result of which will be a 'compromise' where you only need it if you fly above (say) 8000' (again, not a lot of use and dangerous if you rely on it in the circuit).

If it is mandated and paid for, unit prices crash. A set fee for install can be contracted to put a dampner on ripoff R-LAMEs and every a/c will have one. Then, save for U/S equipment, you can descend into the melee in comfort.

But I sure hope this doesn't become another excuse for RPT jocks to not look out the window!!!

Oh, , how can Airlines mandate stuff, ask the Minister for QANTAS or the opposition's (Kerry O'Brien's) chief advisor for "aviation and anything else that gets the Hostie union more money at everone else's expence".

AK

AK