PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all Dick dislikers...
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2003, 04:49
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find it fascinating that while claiming how wonderfull NAS will be and how much it will save they, the two Smiths/Manwell can't give reasonable answers to reasonable questions.

The VFR on top procedure just seems to me to be rubbish. Why not simply have IFR planned/VFR procedures? Then if the weather deteriorates you simply proceed IFR. Couldn't be due to the difficulty in charging people money could it?

Why do we have VFR only and IFR only cruising levels. What was wrong with evens west/odds east? We certainly DO NOT have enough traffic to need the extra cruising levels!!

karrank if that's not Air Traffic CONTROL'S job, or part of it, what is their job?

sm4 correct. They claim it's a proven system but when you actually study the US system the differences are dramatic. So I wonder why we must have their (da 2 smiffs) peculiarly Australian system when the existing peculiarly Australian system, that everyone understands and that is demonstratively safer than NAS, it's unacceptable because it 'does not comply with ICAO/worlds best practise' or any number of other platitudes.

I've said it over and over. Our system is at least the equal of any in the world and does not require massive overhaul. Tweaking around the edges yes. It is also unreasonable to accept that changes can or should be driven from the perspective of amatuers, either individually or groups. The airways system exists for reasons of commerce. Those who wish to use it for fun, and I count myself in that group as well as deriving a living fom it, should fit in with the primary users...not the other way.

Our fuel taxes and GST already cover more than what we 'cost' the system, which would need to exist in it current form even if < 3000kg VFR/IFR Charter/fun didn't exist. As an example when I fly this weekend down to NSW I will be paying probably in excess of $100 in fuel taxes of one kind or another to the Govt. I'll be VFR because the aircraft needs an Instrument 9 to be otherwise. Despite contributing this money I'm essentially not welcome in the system and should, according to 'da 2 smiffs', leave my radios off and stay out of everyones way visually. If I was an IFR Baron on a charter I would be paying double the above but still be required to pay airways charges. What does it cost for the existing system to watch me proceed south on the screens or ackowledge perhaps two radio calls per hour? What does it cost to pass on known traffic and QNHs? When you look at what AsA charge in airways charges I reckon $20+/ hr in fuel taxes more than covers it already!!!

Taxed into oblivion is why this industry is sick. Airways reform has nothing to do with it.

When the ARG can't answer questions with honest answers and they employ Yanks to try and convince us that NAS will revitalise Australian Aviation it's no wonder they have little credibility!!

Chuck.