PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of the 1%ers?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2017, 22:28
mopardave

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by iRaven
Hi MD

I was being a bit of a scampish troll-ette in my post, but as the nature of the job changes then the remuneration package will change. I do agree that the 0% and 1% pay rises have really got to stop...especially when the MPs awarded themselves a disgraceful rise in the middle of it!! But, do I think it's all about the money? No I don't. People in HMForces are more concerned over the gradual erosion of trust and terms and conditions over the past 20 years or so. How can it be right to trust someone with a weapon system to follow orders to take a life (or lives) in accordance with orders/directives but you have to audit them to within an inch of their lives for allowance claims, leave passes, minor discipline issues, nugatory mandatory training, self-help forms with risk assesments to paint your office, etc... etc...? The money isn't too bad, it's the other stuff that is killing the public sector and why people are leaving in my humble opinion.

Apologies for the mini-troll, again
Non taken IRaven....I don't disagree with anything you say......yes, conditions of service are crucial! I know that your conditions have been decimated........and that's a scandal. I was fortunate.....I breezed through my Fire Service career and was able to be quite sanguine about things that caused other people problems, which is maybe why I take the view I do. My beef wasn't over pay or conditions....though they were heading south rapidly.....no, my beef was with those who preached austerity and yet never experienced it themselves.....that's just plain insulting! When my son was in the Royal Engineers, I couldn't get my head around the pay as you dine thing and the way they were charged for things they'd supposedly damaged when they hadn't! We, sorry, the politicians don't deserve the armed forces we've got.......and doubtless, there are a few VSO's complicit in all this. Anyway, this has gotten a little heavy. Those who've served or are serving have my complete support.