PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of the 1%ers?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2017, 21:35
mopardave

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by iRaven
Hi MD

Just did a quick internet search and found this:

I also understand that the number of fires have decreased due to people stopping smoking (in bed used to be a real problem!) and proactive measures such as smoke alarms in the last 15 years or so. So the lower risk probably means that over time the Firefighters' Pay Review Body may well have adjusted the pay to reflect the lower level of call out and thus exposure to risk?

Here are the fire stats: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...7-hosb1317.pdf A lot less fires over 15 years and also the FRS attend more false alarms than actual fires in recent years.
IRaven.........I'll stand corrected on the numbers......but I'm not a million miles out. Fact is, for a couple of years we got zero.....then for several years we got 1%. Of course you can earn more with promotion....but that's the same with any job. Generally speaking, there isn't much in the way of overtime......you have to compare apples with apples so you can't start bringing overtime into the picture......we're talking basic pay aren't we? Yes, fire calls are down, but you're not surely suggesting that firefighters pay should be reduced in line with this......are you? Firefighters have taken on other roles, which was fine as far as I was concerned. You say we attended more false alarms than actual fires.....so what? The nature of emergencies are that they come when you least expect them.......most people on here will never need the fire service (thankfully) so it's only natural to assume firefighters don't do much. I can think of lots of people over the years who were very happy to see me turn up on a big red fun bus. Anyway....I don't THINK you're having a go at me....regardless, I'm a staunch supporter of the armed forces. Aim your ire at the charlatans who say we're all in it together when clearly, we aren't. If they'd had the sense to show some restraint with their own pay, I'm not sure they'd be in the trouble they're in right now. Aim it at the kind of people who can give their wife's hairdresser a gong but can't provide support for the people who did their bidding in a pointless war.