PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2017, 04:11
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320ECAM
I'm sorry but how large is the construction team for this expansion project?

What is it? 10 people doing it all?
Where's the co-ordination in this construction? Why can they only build one section at a time and not multiple sections at once? Why not start building the rail link now?

It seems to me that Luton Airport has again gone for price over quality and efficiency. You can easily build several areas all at once and then connect them during the final stages. Instead, it seems the complete opposite!
In your first post you was complaining that the work should have been spread out but then in your second post you say that multiple projects should have been started at the same time, well that is what has happened.

The total work was divided into 4 main contracts with 4 different principle contractors although the contractor for the rail link hasn't been announced yet so will no doubt be split further. I think the route and stations are to be parts of different contracts so that will make at least 5.

I would say only the contract for the new road layout was under staffed although in the early days the workers working on the terminal did seem somewhat on the light side.

The rail link wasn't thought of until after the rest work was under way so will add to the total cost by having to move around completed work.

As for the terminal, work is taking place all around the existing buildings but some projects can't start until the main terminal extension is opened. An example of this is that all the retail and food outlets will move into the new build. When that happens work can start on expanding the security hall which will occupy the old retail and food outlet areas.

I agree that the building materials are cut price. The completed protect would have looked so much better with a material upgrade but the airport is only really focused on the low cost airlines that want low fees.

Last edited by LTNman; 12th Sep 2017 at 04:50.