PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - More defence cuts
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2017, 14:06
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Buster15

I do not disagree, it is just we are talking about different eras. I've no doubt at all that industry cost it properly, and we agree that MoD could not. The HQ posts that did know were disbanded in January 1988. This was followed by privatisation of the workshops, which meant the natural recruitment ground who brought this knowledge to HQ was gone. The only MoD standard to include a procedure for costing any support activity was last amended in January 1992, and later cancelled without replacement. If one had a copy, plus an old set of permanent LTC instructions, you'd be able to make a good fist of it.

The posts I mentioned managed reliability, but (uniquely) had the authority to overrule these permanent Instructions by, for example, trading off the minimum reliability figure (500 hours MTBR for an avionic LRU) for, say, better availability. Like I said, different ways of achieving the same.

In October 1990, this was all replaced with AMSO's "Not In Time" policy, later improved a little by "Just In Time". (Yes, you've delivered it on time to 14MU, but unfortunately the aircraft is on a ship, in the middle of the oggin). Today, I assume things haven't got worse than "Not In Time"! Made easier I suppose by fewer ships and aircraft.

Last edited by tucumseh; 10th Sep 2017 at 14:10. Reason: Correct date for NIT.