PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VA Captain stands crew down after bungled approach
Old 9th Sep 2017, 12:33
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
They don't. As long as the initial selection and training of the 200hr pilot is done to a high level, they can achieve airline standards. Some will argue that 1500hrs of light aircraft flying gives you "command experience and decision making abilities", which is invalid because flying a light aircraft isn't like flying an airliner, you're going to be waiting as an FO for a considerable amount of time and picking up your command judgement that way anyway, and there's been hundreds if not thousands of airline captains in Australia who didn't have that "required command experience" when they joined an airline and they're doing just fine.

The real reason they say it is jealousy, some are just jealous that cadets don't have to do the so called "hard yards", that they get into an airline at a younger age generally than they do. This might trigger a lot of people here but that's the truth. Don't think these cadet programs have just popped up in the last couple of years, there have been cadets flying as captains of Australian airliners for over 50 years safely.
Here you go again.

The only person being 'triggered' around here is you, the second any critical comment about cadets is made.

The reality is, whilst cadets are here to stay, a fresh cadet is not to the same standard or proficiency as an experienced direct entry in the context of a first jet position for the first year or so. As I said in my earlier reply to you, JQ's training program and limitations for line FO's are very different between cadets and direct entries. Different training hours (double), different crosswind limits, different runway length limits and on.

There is a reason for this. Care to take a guess?

In time, no question cadets come up to standard, but the biggest complaint I hear on the line from captains often isn't even technical proficiency, but attitude. You've demonstrated that nicely.