PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - More defence cuts
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2017, 20:24
Chinny Crewman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Basil
...immigration from outside the EU IS affected. For instance, deportees will, no longer, be able to take their case to the ECHR...
... perhaps we should take a hard look at our 'could work, won't work' people and stop their tap.
Basil,
My understanding is that the E Court HR is linked to 'membership' of the European Convention of Human Rights and has nothing to do with the EU. I believe David Cameron had a manifesto pledge to withdraw us from it and have a UK 'Bill of Rights' this however was ditched because the referendum/Brexit has taken up all available parliamentary time. Theresa May recently committed to remain part of ECHR so deportees right of appeal will remain whatever Brexit deal we get.

As for the 'could work, won't work' people - government has tried to address this for decades, I'm sure you remember Norman Tebbit's 'bike' speech. I have no faith that any future government will address the feckless any better than any previous one and am not sure it has any relevance to the EU.

Brexit aside given the cutbacks I'm amazed we still have so many Chinooks! It must be because they and their crews are so awesome!