PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - More defence cuts
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2017, 09:41
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Not really about Brexit butt his going on about a great sovereign nation is a joke.
We were great in 1912 and have gone not so much downhill ever since but finding our true level for a small overpopulated country with no natural resources.
When it was Great Britain that only applied to the landowning Rich, for everybody else it was literally **** Britain as you spent your short life down a mine, in a dangerous factory or trudging round rain soaked field , in poverty and being treated like dirt or cannon fodder.

I too have seen the pound fluctuate a lot since I was a kid in the fifties but there has always been a strong underlying trend and it has always been DOWN. As for writing the country off or being unpatriotic I am sorry but being realistic isnt either , the harm that the likes of the Daily Mail do to this country is incalculable (They did after all support Hitler back in the 30's).

We should not aspire to a great Britain but a good Britain where people have a chance of a decent education if they are not rich, get decent health health, do not work ridiculously long hours and neglect their families .

Look at how we treat our future -children and the unborn , in the care of overworked doctors, and dreadfully badly paid nurses and midwives .

Of the course the EU is corrupt, all Government and civil services are corrupt to some degree and ours is no cleaner than most of Europe and certainly no more efficient . Our lawmakers are lobbied by crooked and dishonest businesses (just like most other places) and candidates for PM vetted and influenced by Mr Murdoch -piss him off and you lose; thats sovereignty UK style in 2017. Personally i think a middle of the road politically Eu is a better deal for 90% of the country, than being an American puppet state controlled by foreign business interests trying to relive a time that never existed for the joe public of the country.