PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VA Captain stands crew down after bungled approach
Old 8th Sep 2017, 03:16
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Dr dre. There are a few important caveats in your post.

As long as the initial selection and training of the 200hr pilot is done to a high leveL....
I'd argue that it's not. Once upon a time airline cadetships included aerobatics, multi crew ops in an aeroplane as well as hours that exceeded the minimum by a fair margin. The QF cadetships of the early '90s exceeded the 150 hour CPL by at least 50%. I think the syllabus was closer to 235 hours and included at least 10 hours multi crew in a Citation and 15 hours aerobatics. It's been a while since I've reviewed the syllabus but I suspect cadetships these days are done more to a min standard than aiming to exceed that standard by 50%.

After two years in the back seat of a 744 I undertook F/O training on the 767. Sure, the standard expected was the same. Sure, the training pathway was the same- though a few of us (me included) needed some extra training at various stages of the training pathway.

Sure, when I checked to line I was expected to perform and meet the same minimum standard as everyone else. So when I checked I was raw and on a very steep learning curve. I knew it. The Captains I flew with knew it. I still come across many of them these days and I make sure I thank them for their patience with a young Keg.

That's a very different thing though to suggesting I was as capable as the ex regional F/O or Captain. To be frank, the assertion that within those first couple of years as a new F/O I was as capable as those guys is simply fanciful. Maybe I could fly an ILS better than some of them. Maybe I could manage some aspects of the flight better. In general though I understood that I was approaching the job at a deficit of experience compared to others. That's OK. I wasn't in competition with them. No one is in competition with anyone else in this gig.

Interestingly though I disagree that the RHS of an airliner is the right place for a freshly minted cadet to learn the job. They should be in the back seat for a couple of years learning the culture of the job and watching a couple of more experienced crew go about their business. They should be building up their exposure to multiple airline scenarios before taking on the added responsibility of being in the front seat.

You may be right about eh jealousy aspect. It is as prevalent now as it was back when I came through the system in the early '90s. However someone being jealous doesn't change the reality that being in the front seat of a jet when you've bugger all experience behind you (and a training course that is not as robust as those in the past) increases the risk considerably.

So to summarise:
1. Cadets are assessed to the same minimum standard as everyone else. That is good.
2. This does not mean cadets are as good as everyone else assessed to the minimum standard.
3. A cadet who doesn't understand the difference between those two points is dangerous.
4. Someone being jealous is irrelevant to how good an individual pilot is.