PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VA Captain stands crew down after bungled approach
Old 7th Sep 2017, 21:21
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't see the problem here. An honourable captain feels his handling was not up to scratch and he grounds himself. That's fine, that's his call. But from the little information we have I'd suggest that it would have been handled differently where I work. Following such an event this guy would have been assured that we all foul up from time to time. So long as nothing else was untoward he wounded have been asked to have put in an ASR and if HE wished he could have had a chat with someone. Job done. As it was, the ATSB though this worthy of a mini investigation and came up a conclusion most pilots would have predicted beforehand. So be it.

But quite where a lack of proper training standards or having low hour pilots flying simple to fly public transport aircraft fits in gets me. This was a simple cock-up that went unrecognised by two parties that was recovered in a proper manner. The reality is that this sort of thing happens to everybody every now and again and even in Australia. I'll bet both learnt a great deal from this, as will we all, and neither of them will do this again. Best of luck to the them.

PM

PM