PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK to US airline move
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2017, 16:02
APjunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK to US airline move

Looking for some advice... I've scoured the internet but can't quite figure out the right answer!

I am a British Citizen with an EASA CPL/IR and an A320 type rating and am on course to have 1500 hrs/+1000 Turbofan time with a major UK airline by next Autumn. My partner is an American Citizen and moving them here isn't an option. I have a BSc (Hons) and am familiar with the visa/right to work requirements. I'm exploring all the different options for making the distance work, one of which is moving to the US and transferring to a US carrier.

My questions are:

1. Conversion to an FAA ATPL - is there any advantage in waiting until my EASA ATPL is unfrozen before converting or should I get working on the ground school/CPL/IR/ATP course now?
2. Do I actually have a chance of getting into one of the major carriers straightaway or will I have to take the regional jet step?
3. If I am offered a job, on average what is the wait time for beginning work?

If anyone has any experience doing this recently I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me. I'm trying to do everything as efficiently as possible so I don't want to make the wrong move or have false expectations.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by APjunkie; 8th Sep 2017 at 03:02.