PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Risk of air accidents up in UK after CAA cost cutting
Old 28th Aug 2017, 09:30
TURIN

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts
For example, turnarounds, I do not believe that airlines should be in the position under a SMS to decide a minimun turn around time of say twenty minutes. It is simply not safe practice.
Absolutely. Sixty minutes on a large wide body is also ludicrous especially with a crew change thrown in but the airline management still try it on. The pressure on ground staff to co-ordinate such a ridiculous measure drips along to every individual who is responsible for some safety related aspect.
Cleaners: who are also responsible for security checks.
Loaders: rushing around like a bunch of startled cats, chocks not placed, loads incorrectly secured or in the wrong hold, CofG wrong.
Engineers: Trying to complete a Daily check in this time frame is a nonsense, add in a defect or two and the pressure is on. Sod it , just pen it off, it'll be reet.
Cabin and Flt crew bundled on to the aircraft while all the above is still ongoing. Not their fault, they are sent down to speed up the operation and just get in everyone's way. They can't do their pre-flight briefing or set-up. Result, items get missed and they get the 'blame' when it goes pear shaped.

I could go on.

CAA surveyor inspections have increased but it seems that they too are under pressure so they steer clear of the ones they know will cause a shed load of paperwork and ground the aircraft.

I could quote a couple of very high profile events that should have attracted the interest of the CAA. Not a bit of it. They were nowhere to be seen.