PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOW start date
Thread: NOW start date
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2003, 22:30
Yarpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are certain stances you would not expect a professional airline pilot to take. One of these is wishing that a rival airline fails. Some pilots, mostly those with good seniority in long established carriers, are in secure positions. Most others can expect to work for several airlines during their careers. I have never, ever, heard a fellow airline pilot hope for another airline to fail. Most of us are aware of the problems individuals and their families suffer through unemployment and have a healthy respect for the situation. And, dare I say it, you become more aware of your own vulnerability with increasing maturity.

I doubt if jmc-man, LTNman, Sqdn Ldr Weather & Priscilla Moonbeam etc. are anything more than a little cabal of easyJet commercial managers running a feeble smear campaign. They certainly do not think like any airline pilots I have ever known.

The issue that NOW has created for easyJet is pilot retention. It is very difficult for an established organisation to change its culture even if it desperately needs to. For those who don't like the easyJet management team or rostering practices there is now an alternative on the doorstep. The NOW culture will be more aligned to the GO culture.

Bear in mind that easyJet is seeking to expand. There is plenty of business out there for NOW to succeed without going near easyJets patch. Equally, there are plenty of first rate easyJet pilots who would prefer a more comfortable home . . .