PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax sue Boeing in DBX crash
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2017, 08:44
GICASI2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a 'bolter' GA on the runway, we teach and practice the following procedure (assuming THR REV has not been selected - if it has, a full stop MUST be achieved. We also calculate the 'last touchdown' point prior to TOD):

- PF selects TOGA and applies THR to the 'straight arm' level. PM follows the selection through to ensure ~ GA THR has been achieved
- WITH the engines spooled up (!) PM calls ROTATE at >Vref
- PF selects ~ 12°PA and when airborne, With TOGA armed once more, presses TOGA once to give a commanded 2000fpm and calls 'GA FLAP20' to signal a 'normal' GA package is now required

So, muscle memory is invoked by pressing TOGA on the runway; however, our pilots know that they HAVE to select GA THR manually. (It has surprised me how many B777 operators I have spoken to (mainly residding in the desert) are not aware of or have practiced this scenario! I know which airlines will NOT be getting my holiday $s!). No reference is made to the automatics, at all, until the aircraft is flying, at the correct attitude, speed and THR setting. Once all this is achieved, the automatics are reinstated. We have a company rule that prohibits, for sound reasons, turns below 400ft AAL; so the vertical portion of a MAP is achieved and the lateral portion will be, post 400' and TOGA selection. In fact, most of our pilots wait for 400' AAL to be passed before selecting TOGA to avoid rushing and subsequent pigs!