PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where/who do you recommend for Hour Building?
Old 7th Sep 2003, 20:48
Romeo Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my hours building at Naples in Florida. I did 90 hours in four weeks and would recommend going there for a number of reasons:
Naples is a good airfield to fly from. It is an ATC controlled field with Tower and Ground, giving useful experience in operating within a professional environment. Its busy and can be demanding on times.
American attitude to flying is much better than in the UK. Where ever you are, there are so many airfields to choose from, giving ample experience in joining procedures and landings. Remember also that there are no landing fees. If i had done the same number of landings in the UK, it would have cost about a thousand Pounds.
The American ATC is far more favourable to the VFR PPL. I flew into quite major airfields which in the UK you wouldnt go anywhere near, even if you could afford the landing fees!
If you choose the time of year carefully, the weather will be variable and therefore more like the UK in terms of visibility. I only had a couple of crystal clear days, which made things more demanding by far. Strong winds were also an excellent learning experience.
I had a great time out there, combining hours building with a thoroughly enjoyable holiday. Remember though, that 90 hours in four weeks is hard work. You wont fly every day, but those you do will demand between two and six hours a day. Imagine driving an average of four hours a day, (and having to concentrate) and you`ll understand how tiring it can be. It does get easier on the brain after you get used to the new environment though.
If you do go, its important to set a schedule and not to shy away from anything demanding. It would be easy to spend four weeks flying in circles in the local area and staying away from the controlled fields. But a log book full of `locals` will not impress the CAA.