PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax sue Boeing in DBX crash
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2017, 13:51
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the SOP in Emirates regarding following thrust level movement on takeoff? Do they just press TOGA and hands off, or does someone follow them through to the correct setting? I've read a long way back that the SOP call for GA includes "check thrust" before raising the gear. That should be a given, command to not. However, if the SOP technique on takeoff is to follow through, then why not also on GA? Guys are talking airmanship in saying that they always do, and they believe all self respecting pilots should do so. In this day of 'SOP says and monkey does' we have to be careful in such assumptions.
The crew forgot to 'check thrust' before raising the gear, as per SOP. An error, critical. If the SOP/technique for takeoff says PF or PM follows the TL's until thrust is set, is that the same for GA's. And if not, why not. IMHO GA's should be as similar to a normal takeoff as possible to avoid the often quoted screw ups. Pilots blame lack of practice, startle factor etc. I found in some operators the difference in GA procedure to takeoff procedure did not help matters. Guys had to remember 4 differing profiles: normal takeoff, normal all engine GA, EFATO and engine out GA. Why not try and make them as similar a possible? The same with an RTO. It can be very similar to a normal landing if you so design it. That way the startle factor will less likely cause a screw up.
Will an Emirates pilot comment of the takeoff & GA TL techniques please.