PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax sue Boeing in DBX crash
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2017, 23:54
pilot9249

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piltdown Man
spt - You totally miss the reality. This crew DID NOT, EVER command go-around thrust. The PF just pressed a button. The thrust levers, the things that actually command thrust did not move forwards until just two seconds before impact. There was also no indication of any increase any thrust. This is very basic stuff. A home analogy would be where a tap in your bathroom doesn't turn off when you turn it off. Do you let your house flood and sue the tap manufacturer? No. You turn off the tap isolator. Later, at a time of you convenience you replace the ceramic shut off valve in your still dry house. If that doesn't work you turn off the mains and open every other tap in the house to reduce the impact of the recalcitrant tap. You then install an isolator and replace the valve. When we first learn to fly we are taught the aeronautical equivalents of these fixes. This is basic, basic stuff taught from Day 1 and certainly re-inforced every time we go to the sim.

If my aircraft doesn't automatically give me take off power (and it will not if certain criteria are met) then I make sure it bloody well will. If the gear doesn't come up and I need it up, it will (subject to certain criteria) come up, if I need more thrust than permitted, I will have it. My colleagues and I have had many, many training sessions battling with usual, unusual and unexpected mode failures dreamed up by the psychos in the training department. The deal is always the same. You are flying and you are in charge. If things don't work as advertised is not important and certainly not a big issue. You are still in charge and there is a very, very simple way out that you have to take. No ifs, no buts.

Yes, a court case might be the best place to test this and I do hope common sense prevails. And if I was Boeing I would drag this out until it hurts the opposition. Anything to stop the greedy and ignorant from initiating cases without merit.

PM
Understood.

No doubt the court case will focus on whether pressing TOGA at 100 knots was a clear and unambigous command for thrust.

Or whether the crew pressed it inappropriately because of a leaky tap.

Let's see what happens.

Last edited by pilot9249; 26th Aug 2017 at 03:10.