PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - students useing GPS
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2003, 19:26
Crashlanded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I for one flies around without a GPS.call me a vintage or conservative pilot or shall i say frankly i cant afford one

Ive seen some frens of mine flying using GPS for their navs pre PPL which I believe is totally absurd & too much of technology reliance.

What if one day their GPS knocks out on them? n since theyve been doing nav pre PPL till god knows whenever/wherever they may go n land up to; I don't think they'd be able to navigate visually without any help or cause any inconvenience to others or ATC.

in my opinion,which i maybe wrong;These are pilots who will never learn the basics of & mastering basic navigation.

No harm carrying a GPS i guess but be sure to learn the basic fundamentals of nav at the early stages.If one is post PPL & other higher lvl of licences then its a luxury to use them since
these experience pilots already have the backups of basic handson nav in case the techno gadgets kills itself.

*one of my fren got lost once in the outback after too much reliance on the GPS n unfortunately the GPS kills itself on one of his "perfect" flight.He was totally frightened to his wits knowing that he gotta b back to basics which he admits at that point of time he's so hopeless of it.