PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax sue Boeing in DBX crash
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2017, 09:56
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In an earlier post I posted a graph of accident statistics over the past 40 years. For some reason it disappeared.

The statistics are easy to find with a simple search but my point earlier had been that despite all the huffing and puffing contrary to the impression that lack of manual handling skills and rigid adherence to SOPs is making things more dangerous the statistics would indicate otherwise.

I do not have the answers but in my view the accident in Dubai was caused by a poorly flown approach leading to a deep landing followed by a mandatory GA due to the 'Long Landing' warning. The PF clearly did not fully understand the TOGA system nor did he follow through on the thrust levers which, again in my opinion, is basic airmanship.

The PM did not follow SOPs by NOT ensuring thrust had been applied which was compounded by calling a positive climb due to the inertia of the aircraft giving just that, albeit very temporary.

So if PF had understood the system and PM monitored the application of power by following the SOP then the accident would not have happened.