PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gold Bars and Flying Suits
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2017, 08:50
sharpend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Homsap
I would say gold bars should be confined to commercial pilots who are PIC. Many years ago I bumped into a PPL at IOM airport, in the black, black tie, white shirt and four gold bars, we were a bit puzzeled, despite the fact we have worked hard to gain a CPL/ATPL. Anyway this pilot was effectively passing as prossional qualified with a business owner and clients in the company aircraft. Thebottom line is he flew into the side of a mountain killing himself and five others.

As to flying suits (flying coveralls) there primarily designed to protect you from fire, but have the advantage of built in knee pads and lots of places to stow things securely, including pens, charts and a knife. Some aircraft it is difficult take a flight, such as a Pitts, Tiger, or Chipmunk, and solve alot of problems during during aerobatic flight, as you can keep your loose change in a zip up pocket. I think I wore flying coverals on my CPL test, but from an organational sort of point, the examiner was ex-RAF so he was fine about it.

Agree all what you write. Moreover, anyone who has read Richard Hilary's book 'The Last Enemy' will know the importance of wearing gloves.

Likewise the RAF style flying gloves give protection against lacerations and fire. In the summer months, when people might be in shorts and a short sleeved shirt, it is very easy to put on a flying suit, who afterall who would fly in shorts or a skirt, appart from cabin crew.

I believe in the 1970s pilots from both Hamble and Oxford wore flying coveralls, but these days commercial cadet pilots, want to dress up like airline pilots. Oddly, on the subject of clothing, no so long ago, I visted an airport, and I think it was Oxford, and the cadets were wearing nylon flying jackets, how stuped. After the Falklands conflict the CAA issued a directive through an AIC that pilots should attempt to wear clothing made from cotton.wool, and leather, including underwear, socks and shoes. This was because during ships fires, some of the burns were compounded by sythetic clothing including socks and underwear. A few years after that CAA directive, as an instructor, I was issued with a sythetic uniform to which I asked for a suitable natural fibre alternative, which rather upset the club.

There must be a good reason that the RAF on the AEF and UAS Grob 115 wear flying coverals, it is not to pose. Twenty five years ago few cyclists wore helmets, including myself, because of perceptions of cycle helmets. Now cycle helmets are the norm.
I agree all that you write. Anyone who has read Richard Hilary's book 'The Last Enemy' will know the importance of gloves.