PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rumour: 25 or 43 to return?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2017, 07:54
salad-dodger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BV
Have you ever been a member of a flying Sqn? I don't know you from Adam. I assume, since you are on this forum, you have at least a passing acquaintance.
Yes, and nor I you. But note that I am engineer.

You could easily argue that none of it matters. Those of us that have been on Sqns would of course disagree. It is the same as asking an infantryman if he cares about being a member of The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Would he rather just be a member of number 36 infantry regiment with no associated history.

Whilst your military colleagues may not care I'd be amazed if any of them that have been on Sqns would claim not to.

I just think the world would be a sadder place if we all stopped caring. It would, however, keep on turning I'm sure.

BV
Agree with all of that. I couldn't claim to not be biased or swayed by old allegiances. The problem is that too much of this, and much worse besides, features in decision making now. So many of MoD and service decisions are based on the best (selfish) interests of an individual rather than what is best for the Services.

As others have pointed out, this is unlikely to be based on any logic. It will be an inviduals whim, or maybe even some quasi-political decision.

S-D

Last edited by salad-dodger; 24th Aug 2017 at 09:07.