PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM lands in typhoon in Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 18:26
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Having flown in and out of Kindley field Bermuda over the eyars where winter winds are regular up at 45-50 gusting over 60 Kts and the runway is 60 degrees off the prevailing wind.

Given their is for the most part no alternate runway -its almost always a case of fly back the way you came some crews were a bit more determined than others so it seemed but given the fact that two 727s had wing tip strikes inside three years I think the crews were all pretty respectful in the winter months. (logic not triangle based)
Hurricanes were not unknown and in that even flights were pretty much cancelled but the USN P3s still operated . However they had great range and endurance and there were cases where they carefully shadowed the hurricanes eye so they could land in the 15-20 minutes of calm.

other very windy places i have experienced were AMS , so share the views about the experience KL crews have in strong/crosswinds and Tokyo Narita , always a favourite with the scary approach photographer community.

To back up the ground handling and its dangers I was in berlina couple of years ago and on the afternoon of my evening departure much of Europe was hit with a terirfic windstorm. Almost all flights from about 3 30 to 8 30 at TXL were cancelled and I wasn't in the least surprised. My BA 321 landed but then couldnt open the doors because of fears for the pax going down long open airstairs (see below) and for the shock on the hinges of the upward opening belly hold doors so the inbound pax had to sing for their luggage and those of us on the outbound were told it couldn't be loaded.
Worst of all was when they swung the jetty out towards the aircraft a really powerful gust blew both the glass doors of f the nose of the jetty and flung them back the whole length of it smashing to pieces just behind the gate crew who luckily were positioned a little way to the side of the landward end of the jetyt- a terrific noise and ensuing terrorist scare but the doors were frightful mess and god knows what they would have done to any one they hit.

So as some have indicated , an airport ramp in a gale is no place to be if you are a footsoldier even if there are still a few movements