PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM lands in typhoon in Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 18:19
Meikleour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kai Tak memories.

IIRC there was a blanket 55kt restriction put on movements at the airport due to concerns about loose ground equipment like airstairs and trollies being blown about and damaging aircraft and/or personnel.
In 1988 I brought a B747classic which had diverted, back from Taipei to Kai Tak at 3 in the morning local time. As we came down the IGS the wind at 1,000ft was 190/55 (IGS course 088 ) The touchdown wind was 090/38 (13 course 135 ) and just to make it really interesting the VASIS were switched off (this was SOP for winds over 30kt ) Passing the checkerboard it was extremely rough and I am sure I saw a groundspeed of 90kt on the INS. Interestingly, at Kai Tak it was usually most turbulent at around 500ft. but tended to smooth out below 100ft.!
Looking back over the mists of time I question whether that approach would have been allowed with a Windshear System fitted and it certainly would have violated what would be considered normal stable approach criteria that are used these days.
Despite it's challenges Kai Tak had a remarkably good safety record. Perhaps this had something to do with the amount of manual flying that was encouraged in that era?