PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax sue Boeing in DBX crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 10:58
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is important is that you carry a mental model of what you would like to happen before you need it. Then when you are let down you use another method to get what you want. Saying the button didn't work as advertised when alternative means were available but not used is not really acceptable.

Spot ON. However, there are operators that teach only one method of doing anything; they do not teach all the capabilities of the systems. Thus, when the primary method doesn't work there might not be enough knowledge of the alternatives; or they might be too scared of SOP police to attempt any. Meanwhile the can or worms is getting bigger as lack of action kicks in. By the time WTF has passed and been replaced by a little panic mode it could be too late. Even more undesirable is where the primary method doesn't work and then the guessing starts and the pilot makes it worse and the spiral tightens.

Regarding FMA call outs or not: the monitoring of FMA's is often doubtful. I see people call out FMA's without first thinking 'what is it I want to see'. If you do that first then the actual FMA crates a feedback loop in your brain. I want to see XYZ, I do see XYZ, therefore I've got what I want'. Or not, and then you do something about it. That concept is not taught by most: it is just SOP push this button at this time and the a/c will do that.
I had this interesting moment more than once: we were in the cruise approaching TOD in VNAV PTH. ATC cleared us to descend and PF dialled in the new FL in MCP. Just as they did that FMA changed to ALT HLD. The a/c did not descend, I called "ALT HLD" - PF replied "Check" and we carried on in level flight. This process was repeated and ATC repeated the descent clearance. PF looked at MCP and saw the lower FL and looked confused. I again said "ALT HLD". There was a question mark of 'how did that happen' rather than do something about it. I was then accused of being unhelpful in not alerting PF what to do in the first instance. OMG as eyes rolled to the heavens. You can stare at the FMA all you want, but only if you understand them. In B738 rolling in V/S doesn't always work, unless the FMA pitch is in the correct mode first and MCP adjusted. That causes some confusion and piano playing on the MCP.

It's not quite the same sentiment, but it does add to the concept of 'being ahead of the game'.

An NTSB investigator once said, "A pilot should not take their a/c to a place their brain had not already been a few moments earlier." Add this to the sentiment above and you can have a nice relaxing and successful day.