PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 flight shadowed by French jet
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 12:09
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Having read this thread I perceive that many AT pilots think that it is their right to wander around Europe and beyond in a casual manner. I remind them that each country has a right to defend it's own airspace, and to police that airspace.

Having spent over 30 years as an Air Defender I had drummed in the rights and responsibilities of a QRA pilot. Although the procedures have been modified to cater for modern technology, the basic rules and procedures for interception, shadowing, intervention and engagement are unchanged.

Be there no doubt that the French take the sovereignty of their airspace very seriously. It would not be wise to ignore or disrespect the directions from a QRA Mirage.
Over the past 10 years operating both GAT and OAT across Europe I witnessed poor R/T and sometimes arrogance from pilots. I have heard some say, ”I’ll just continue on flight plan route” and make no attempt to contact a controller. In my opinion, not acceptable.

If the French were using civil traffic for squadron pilots training this would not be acceptable. If, however, they are QRA aircraft under qualified GCI Control they are policing their airspace. In other words, exercising their right.